A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Am I just getting old? Oh! I hope so!

I think there's something wrong with me. I seriously don't mind that I am getting older. I don't mind the grey hair at all or the crow's feet. I'm not crazy about all the poking and prodding the doctor's want to do to you, once you hit 50, but hey...you can always say "no!" 

I have friends and acacquaintances who fight getting older like it was a death sentence. They dress young, they try and act young, heck some of them even trade in wives, husbands, cars, and/or jobs in an effort to find someone or something that can make them "feel" like they did at 25. My question is, why? Been there. Done that. Got a tee shirt!

I found a quote from Longfellow this morning that I wanted to share:


"For age is opportunity no less
  Than youth itself, though in another dress,
 And as the evening twilight fades away
 The sky is filled with stars,
   invisible by day."

Neat thought, hu? One worth some consideration I think. 

So, before you reach for that bottle of hair dye or make an appointment with the plastic surgeon for a lift or a tuck....I hope you'll take some time to realize once you hit a certain point in life, it's a whole new ball game and that ain't a bad thing at all.  You need to realize that you are getting a do over!

You can use all your experiences, your knowledge of the world, your connections and your money (if you have any) to do ANYTHING your heart has dreamed of!  Pretty heady stuff.

Tell me now, does being "old" sound so bad when you think of it that way? I think it's sounding pretty cool, actually.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Since I'm ten years older than you, I can honestly say that getting older is a gift. I think that's exactly what you were saying in this post. After being diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer 2 years ago, and then being told two months later that I didn't have it, I truly feel this life is a gift. So, Terri, what will be our legacy (how will people remember us) when we leave this earthly existence? How would we like them to remember us? Ahhh, your post leaves a lot to think about...more than grey hair and wrinkles! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on aging and giving us even more to consider.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

What a wonderful post! This is my first visit to your blog, and I'm so glad I came by. I soooo agree with you(although there are times when I'm looking in the mirror that I begin to think of some plastic surgery - I quickly get over it though when I think of spending so much money for something so silly! There are a lot of things I'd rather spend that money on.) Thank you for this post. (Oh, and I do love the big grey house in your header!). laurie