A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's a snowy December day. And what am I doing?

Starting tomato seeds of course! I almost died the other day when tomatoes at the grocery were $4/lb! Are they kidding me?

So this morning I went down to the basement and went to work growing my own.

The key to getting seeds to start indoor is a heat mat. Until the little plants begin to push through the soil, they don't actually need light, but they do need warmth.  The heating mats look like heating pads without the cloth covers. 

I filled the little seed trays with seed starter soil (It's lighter and does a better job holding in the moisture the seeds need to sprout) and watered the soil. Next, I put 2 seeds in each "compartment". These seeds are only from last year. I expect a good sprouting ratio, but with older seeds it's better to be safe then sorry.
After that I lightly covered the seeds and put the lid on my seed tray and slipped it onto the warming mat that I had set up in my little plant house in the basement.

Soon there will be little baby tomato plants pushing their way into the the world.
 


2 comments:

Diane said...

Good for you! Isn't it great to have the space to do this?

Paula said...

Perfect! It will be so fun for you to see them grow in the middle of the winter. We have a new store in town that's all about indoor growing. I need to get down there and see what they've got.
I love love love the new name and look of your blog. Your house is gorgeous!