A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Monday, January 24, 2011

Good-bye to my old friend.

A few short weeks ago, my old dog Sam, died. He was  my buddy...my constant companion.  He was old and had been failing in health for several months, so his death was not unexpected. None the less, it broke my heart.

Sometimes an animal comes into our lives that is "special". Through some sort of magical connection, they become more then "just a pet". They become part of your family. That's how it was with Sam. I love that dog so much!
When he died, though, I didn't want to wait around to get another dog. I have no interest in breeding them, so pedigree wasn't a necessity. Price was, right now though. And I just couldn't afford to go to a breeder and by another
Boston. (Which is still THE best dog breed in the world!).
I didn't want to go to the ASPCA or Humane Society, because I find their demands on the potential owners ridiculous. They ask for, literally, hundreds in adoption fees after they do everything short of finger printing you to make sure you fit their estimation of a "good" pet owner and then they presume to tell you what you can and cannot do with your animal. O.K. NO! I'm not a fan of that way of doing things.
 So, I started looking around.  Last week I found an ad for 4 month old Westie/Bichon mix puppies.  I called the woman and made an appointment for Gillian and me to go take a look.  This is what I came home with:   Meet Winston!
He is just awfully cute and I think he's pretty smart too! We're working on house training him and teaching him to come when you call him. Oh, he knows his name already, but sometimes he just doesn't feel like coming when you call him. (much like my children, sometimes! LOL)

Winston won't take Sam's place. No dog will do that. But, Winston sure is helping heal my broken heart.

But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you. Which of all of these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. --Job 12: 7-12

5 comments:

Diane said...

I've been checking in daily and now I understand why you haven't been posting. You are right, there will never be another dog to take Sammy's place, but Winston will earn his own place in your heart. He is adorable and looks VERY smart. You were so right to get another puppy right away. Winston needed a home with love and he's in the right home! Good luck with all of the new things a puppy brings into your home. Oh, and give him a Dingo bone every day!!

Laura said...

So sorry about you losing your beloved dog. That's a very hard thing to go through and leaves a real hole in the daily routine.

I'm glad you now have a cute little friend to liven things up! He's darling.

Best wishes,
Laura

Michelle said...

So sorry for the loss of Sam :( But glad that you were able to find Winston so soon!

Susie Q said...

I am so sorry about your sweet Sam. We lost our Kipper in November and I thought my heart would break. In fact, I think it did. But just 2 weeks ago we brought our new rescue home. As you saw, his name is Winston too! *laugh* The rescue folks had named him that and we thought it worked for him! He is a good boy and just wants to be loved. He is helping our hearts heal and filling a void that ached. We needed him, he needed us! Just as you needed YOUR Winston and he you!
Welcome to your Winston!!!
Love to you all,
Sue

Darrell Mankin said...

Winston is so CUTE!!!! His ears are the best..and those eyes!