The only equipment you need is a sharp pair of pruning shears. Here's how to force forsythia flowers:
- Pick a day that is above freezing.
- Cut the forsythia stems in lengths of less than 3 feet, and bring them home.
- Put the stems in a bucket of warm water.
- With your pruning shears, cut another inch off the bottoms of the submerged stems. This second cut, performed underwater where air cannot act as a drying agent, will promote water intake.
- Allow the forsythia stems to soak up the warm water for several hours.