A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Monday, March 14, 2011

I have put it off for as long as I can...


This morning I had to get out and prune our apple trees. I am always scared I will kill the tree, but so far they have all managed to live! LOL

The main goals in pruning are to get rid of dead and diseased branches as well as suckers and to open up the tree so that sun and air can filter in.

Before we moved back here 2 years ago, I came down with one of the boys and gave all of the trees a much needed cutting back. The problem was, the trees were all over grown and there really is such a thing as cutting too much off at one time. So, I cut about 1/3 of what I wanted the first year. Another 1/3 last year and now, this year, I think I have them just about right, so from now on it should be pretty smooth sailing.

Next up, I have to spray the trees with dormant oil to help kill any overwintering buggies that might damage the fruit.  More on that tomorrow.  Right now, I think I'll make myself a nice cup of tea.
**********************************************************************************
here is a list of situations you always want to prune out from weekendgardener.net:

A. Suckers

B. Stubs or broken branches

C. Downward-growing branches

D. Rubbing or criss-crossing branches



E. Upward growing interior branches

F. Competing leaders

G. Narrow crotches

H Whorls

1 comment:

TravelDiva said...

I SO can't wait to come for my visit. Depending on my potential employment situation (or not) I might come out for a longer stay. Love ya'll.