A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Once when I was younger


 I was naturally thin. I could eat and drink like there was no tomorrow and not gain a pound. I never had to exercise (I HATE to exercise, actually). That was one thing I never worried much about.

Then I fell in love and got married and the babies came, one after another. For about 10 years I was either pregnant or just getting over being pregnant! And with every baby came a little more weight.

You would think with 5 children under 8, I would be runnin off any extra weight. Not true. I breast fed and that is supposed to help. Also not true. Over the years  I've tried lots of ways. I lose some and gain some back. It's AWFUL!


Now I'm 50 and if I don't start doing somethng, I will have some real health issues headed my way.
Last month I decided to do a 5K. Gillian went with me. Our goal was to finish in under and hour. We made it in just over 56 minutes.

When I got home I signed up for anothe 5K this month. The goal was to finish in under 50 minutes.


Bright and early this morning Gillian, Matt, Jim and I headed out to Rochester for the race.  The first time I wasn't worried at all. This time I was hurting after 1/4 mile!  I was determined to do this, but at the same time I really wasn't sure that I could!

 By the last mile I was nearly in tears. Who wants to fail? The boys had finished and come back to walk me in. Gillian stayed with me the whole time. I was short of breath and hurting, but if I slowed down, I would never make my goal! So, I kept going.


Finally, we hit that finish line!! I tried to run in but had to quit running a few yards away from the finish line. I thought I would die! But, I didn't and you know what?  As really crappy as I felt trying to finish, that's how good I feel because I did and I made my goal.
Not too bad for an old fat chick.
Tomorrow, I start looking for our June 5K. That one has a goal of under 45 minutes!
Pray for me.

2 comments:

TravelDiva said...

I never had a doubt you could do it. You can and you will! Way to go on pushing through to the end and reaching your goal. I can't wait to see you in July.

Granny Annie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Are you a friend of my friend Rhonda? It looks like her son Nick in your picture. Anyway, I have lost 35 pounds over a 20 week period using Alli Orlistat capsules. I have several posts on my blog about using Alli and about my progress which you might find worth reading. From this post it looks like you can be pretty committed to a fitness program.