A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gee it's hot out there!

I am a southern girl and I can take the heat, but there are days when even I say whoa! and stay inside where it's cooler! But there are days (like today) when I just have to work outside. It is important to know how to prevent heat related illnesses.
Take a look at this list:
Drink one glass of water every 15 to 30 minutes worked, depending on the heat and humidity. This is the best way to replace lost body fluid.
  • Read medication labels to know how cause the body to react to the sun and heat.

  • Avoid alcohol and drugs as they can increase the effects of heat.

  • Build up tolerance for working in the heat. Heat tolerance is normally built up over a one to two week time period.

  • Take breaks to cool down. A 10 - 15 minute break every two hours is effective.

  • Adapt work and pace to the weather.

  • Provide heat stress training to workers and supervisors.

  • Manage work activities and match them to employees' physical condition.

  • Use special protective gear, such as cooling garments and cooling vests on "early entry" workers.

  • Know heat stress first aid techniques.

  • Also, remember to slather on that sunscreen (with an SPF of at least 30) and wear a hat.  Skin cancer is on the rise.

    Prevention is the key, my friends! Now go out and enjoy your summer safely!

    3 comments:

    Patricia Cabrera said...

    Hi There ,
    I want to thank (you) for visiting me and for leaving me a note. I truly appreciate!
    Have a blessed weekend,
    Smiles,

    Granny Annie said...

    Good prevention tips. Thanks for posting.

    Paula said...

    Please turn on a fan and blow a little of that heat this way. It won't stop raining! I beg of you!!!!