A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Monday, August 29, 2011

Happy Tasha Tudor Day...a little late

I am late with this post and I'm sorry. But, I felt it was important to mention was Tasha Tudor (who's birthday was yesterday) is an important role model in my life. 

As many of you know Tasha, was an artist and illustrator and her talent in those areas alone would be enough to warrant admiration. Her real talent, though was at living life on her own terms. Tasha lived as though it was still the early 19th century. She sewed her own clothes and grew her own vegetables. She kept goats and chickens (and corgi dogs, of course! LOL).  She was considered odd by many, but she didn't mind. She was happy in the life she created for herself.

Now, I have no intention of giving up electric lights or cooking on a wood stove and giving up my nice gas stove or even of dressing like it was 150 years in the past. But I do intend to live in a manner that not only makes my heart happy, it's sooths my soul. Just like Tasha did.

So thank you, ma'am for being brave enough to live your life the way you saw fit. Who would have guessed such a tiny little woman could live such a big life! Rest in peace...

4 comments:

Diane said...

Does this mean that one day you hope to get back to rural living? I still dream about it and love "Mother Earth News", "Countryside", and other homesteading magazines. I often wonder if I still have the energy for it.

I love it that you've decided her secret - and one you intend to follow - is to live life in a manner that not only makes your heart happy, but soothes your soul. I do believe you understand true happiness!

Granny Annie said...

As we grow older there is nothing better than getting closer to nature. I love my goats and chickens and ten acres of wide open spaces.

HeidiInHolland said...

We do share a love for TT and for following your heart. I did know that you had been to the museum...lucky you!

I had some life changing news this week but instead of a long comment, stop over at my blog AllMyScatteringMoments if you get a chance to read about when things happen.....

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

HeidiInHolland said...

P.S. - I am signed in with my new blog site which is a food and book blog but it is still me. :-)