A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Today we joined the rod and gun club!


When I was very young my father taught me to shoot. He used to take me hunting with him too. When I got good enough to hit animals, I pretty much quit. Until I met Joe. He was on a target pistol team and we would sometimes go out and shoot at the pistol range. It was fun.  Years later when he had the farm, we would do some target practice from time to time.But since then, it's been pretty slim pickings as far as shooting goes.
 We joined the local conservation club, but they never seem to do much anymore except hold pancake breakfasts. Mind you they are great breakfasts, but not what I really had in mind.
 So today we went out to the rod and gun club in nearby Shortsville They were having a skeet competition. There a leagues and contests and it's really a lot of fun!
I had stopped by the other day, but I wanted to bring Joe by before I wrote a check to join. He was tickled (Gillian, not so much evidently! LOL).

Shooting is sort of a country thing, I guess. I know folks who wouldn't ever even consider firing a weapon, but we enjoy it!

And did you know there are company's that design hunting/shooting clothes especially for women???  http://proishunting.com/index.php
I mean, just because you play with the boys, doesn't mean you have to dress like them too!

So, I hope to get back to my roots a little bit and enjoy some skeet shooting very soon. Anyone else game?

1 comment:

Diane said...

I hope you two are more active than we are. We joined our local one last spring; then there was the flood; we bought the 5th wheel...the gun club got put on back burner. Keep us posted. I'll bet it's lots of un.