A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Another rainy day...

The weather was down right hot and sunny for a few days and now through the weekend it's to be warm and rainy. What's a girl to do?

We have been trying to paint the house...at least the bottom front...before the weather turns to cold. We have not reached that goal yet, but we've done enough so that when I pull into the drive, I can "see" how it will all look and, I gotta tell you, it just makes my heart leap with joy!

This morning, though since I cannot work outside I decided to make a cozy breakfast and enjoy it with a cup of coffee and a book. I made mushroom toast. Ever tried it? Take some sliced mushrooms and put them in a pan with butter to soften. Meanwhile, butter both sides of a slice of good bread (I happened to have some homemade white
bread this morning, so I used it). Brown one side of the bread and flip it. Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on the now browned top side of the bread. When the bottom side is nicely browned, top the bread with the mushrooms and enjoy! Nothing to it and yet it is so decadently delicious!

Canning goes on. I have finished the tomatoes and pumpkins but I still have apples to do. I get so tired of the work involved, but I love to see those jars all lined up on the shelves!

I have been enjoying Pinterest.com quite a lot lately (well, a girl's gotta do something while she's timing the pressure canner, doesn't she?) so many great ideas there. I do feel woefully unprepared in the fairly light department, however. You know....those small white Christmas lights? I think I need to load up a little so I can try some of the projects I have "pinned".

My Ben is about to begin week 7 of basic training. The Army has changed a lot since I was young. Not only do we get letters (that's not new) but we get phone calls (3 so far!) and there's a darn Facebook page with photos of the different companies. What a heart soother for a nervous mom! LOL

There's one other thing I would like you to think about. Here in New York, the state budget is really tight. Funds for libraries are drying up. Towns have capped the how much of their budgets they will spend on library funding. Grants are harder and harder to come by. Now, I don't know about you but I LOVE libraries. Whenever we move, one of the first things I do is go check out all the local library has to offer. If people don't do something, soon many places won't have the luxury of a library in their own towns. Please, if you can write your library a check. $10 or $20, if that's all you can afford. More if you have it. Volunteer. Attend library fundraisers. And, if you would, write to your state and local officials and let them know how much the library means to you and encourage them to find ways to support the local branches. If you delay too long, it may be too late. Just think what it would be like without access to free books, movies, magazines, CDs and games. Libraries are one of the best entertainment values around!

Hope you are enjoying these last few days of September.

See you in October!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Loved reading your post today. It's fun to grab a cup of coffee and "visit" with you.

That picture of Winston napping is too cute!!

Granny Annie said...

Great post. We need to paint our house. Good for Ben...hope he is blending in. I went to Pinterest and I liked it then I forgot to go back. I also signed up for Twitter and then forgot to Tweet. Sorry can't get with mushrooms for breakfast. Our small town does not have a library. One of the local churches tried to start one but not much to find there. It is sad. Cyberspace fills our library needs but there is just something about walking into a real library to explore.

carla said...

Several good things in this post: the Army, a lovely house, pinterest, books and libraries.

carla said...

Oops, forgot to say that our son had basic training at Fort Jackson. One of the happiest days of my life was attending his graduation.

Would love to see your boards on pinterest. Do you have a link?