A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Monday, October 10, 2011

Be vewy, vewy qwiet....I'm hunting wabbits....


I'm not really. But I could. Friday and Saturday Matthew and I took the NY state Hunter's safety course at our local conservation club. It was 2 days (12 hours) of study and then a written test.  It wasn't horrible, though my butt was sore after sitting on those hard, folding chairs.  Much of the course was actually very interesting and I even learned some things (did you know that the reason you do not shoot at birds sitting on water is that bullets can ricochet off of water?)

Anyway, I did pass the test and now I can go buy a hunting license if I want.  I don't want right now. But I COULD.

Hunting has gotten a bad rap from the holier then thou types in recent years. But it is neccessary to keep animal populations at a level where they can maintain their habitats without overcrowding and over feeding. So why not harvest the meat and feed people too? To me, that's a win/win.

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

It sounds so simple doesn't it? I agree with you but those of the opposite opinion are as passionate. Oh for some happy mediums in our lives.

Diane said...

Good for you! I don't believe in hunting for sport, but when people hunt to provide food for their table or donate it to those less fortunate, it's good. Also, people forget that if you don't keep the animal population at a natural level, nature finds a way to do it - disease or starvation. It has to be done.