A poem by J.F. Conant

He who loves an old house never loves in vain. How can an old house used to sun and rain, to lilac and to larkspur and an elm above-ever fail to answer the heart that gives it love?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Being thankful..

There was a poster on Pinterest.com recently that read:  If you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked God for today, what would you have?   Interesting question, don't you think?
So in honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and with this pinterest placard in mind, every day in November, I am going to list one thing I am grateful for in my life.

As it is already 2 days into November I guess I will have to go twice today.

#1) My faith----I was an adult convert to Catholicism.  I did not convert because of my husband, but I do believe that a shared faith has made our marriage stronger. I mean, love, friendship and everything else aside, it is good to know that we are together forever. I do not have to worry about him leaving me, not does he have worry about me leaving him. Marriage is a sacrament and we take that very seriously.
    My faith has also brought me through some tough times. In every life there are days when you wonder how you suddenly turned into Job. But faith has kept me strong...has kept me holding on for just a little bit longer and God has always made a way for me. Not only made a way, but brought me to a life that is so fantastic, I couldn't have imagined it would be mine. 
   Faith has made me strong enough to move forward and do things and go places and achieve goals that I would never have dared on my own. Even when I am not that strong, God most certainly is and he is holding me up.

#2) My husband, Joe----I was 29 years old before I married. It's not that I didnt' want marriage and a family. I did! But, well, let's face it, I was a mess. They didn't call me the wild child for nothing! LOL  And I never ever wanted a divorce. Broken families are some of the saddest things there are. I didn't want to be one of them. And who in heck was crazy enough to try and keep up with me for the rest of his life?  I prayed for it, but I didn't see it happening. I really didn't. So one day I said to God, you know what? I am done trying. You find me the "right" one....and in very short order he did! 
    It was totally unexpected, because when I moved home to Kentucky my theater friends warned me about Joe. They said he had a girl in every show. On top of that he was one of those cocky West Pointers. AND he was already engaged to someone else.  I didn't even try to flirt. But we were thrown together a lot and one day I was sitting in Radcliff City Park ( I was watching my friend's daughter). It was a Tuesday and I remember all of a sudden this feeling came over me, this absolute assurance that this was the man that I would spend the rest of my life with. I cannot explain it. I just KNEW it.

   Nearly 22 years later we are still happily married. He is my rock. He is my joy. I love him more every single day. And you know what? He loves me too and he tells me every single day.  I am totally blessed.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I knew you would put faith and Joe as your top two blessings. That's one thing we've always admired about each other ~ our love for our husbands. It's funny that they have the same birthday (date) and we are both July babies!

I'm looking forward to reading your blessings each day. What a great thing to post about!

Granny Annie said...

Easy answer, the three F's, Faith, Family and Friends:)